Friday, April 12, 2019

Moana: Paddle or Sail?



I was mowing the grass yesterday and came into the house for a cool off and get-a-drink break.

I sat in front of the Television and turned it on to fill my head with something other than the roar of the mower engine.

The Disney movie, Moana, was running. Just about at the end of the story.

This little Disney offering has become one of my favorites. I was late to join the audience -- I heard my Granddaughter, Avery singing "The Water Song" at Church one day and became thrilled by her singing, and so, went home to get caught up!

But, as I rested yesterday, watching the now familiar clip before me, I saw something new.

I don't know if the writers or animators intended this message or not - but as you know - I'm always looking for God in the Movies. And I saw - and heard Him. 

The scene that was playing when I plopped down to wipe sweat and sip on some Kool Aid was where Maui had deserted her, she was alone (except for the Chicken), the little boat was in tatters, she had failed, she was defeated, and more than discouraged - she was filled with despair.

At that moment her Grand Mother's spirit made a special appearance to comfort and encourage her. She gave her Granddaughter permission to go Home.

I hope that my children know that they can always come home. They are always welcome - and they will always be welcomed.

But sometimes going home is not just a retreat - it is a surrender.

It is giving up - quitting.

With permission - Moana decided to go home.

This is what I saw:

Moana left her Grand Mother's loving embrace - picked up her paddle and headed to the stern of her boat. She raised the oar and was about to place it into the water for the first stroke that would begin to take her back - and she hesitated.

I don't know exactly what Moana was thinking at that moment, but this is what came to MY mind: "If you go BACK, you're going to have to PADDLE --- if you go FORWARD -- you can SAIL."

Now sailing is difficult, and we can sail into treacherous and dangerous waters, but sailing (it seems to me) is always more desirable than paddling! Going Forward is always better than going Backward.

The little Samoan girl chose to go forward. She put down her paddle, repaired her torn and tattered sails, sang "I Know Who I Am: I am Moana!" and went on to complete her quest.

At the Movies, God said to me - "Don't go backward - go forward: SAIL. My wind is with you. You can DO this." 

No comments: