Monday, October 12, 2020

Maui: Thank you


 I know that Moana is just a children's story from Disney.

I have never been harmed or threatened by fictional or fantasy stories or even the beliefs of other people, other cultures, or religions different from my own.

I read them, I listen to them, I learn about them and I learn from them. This adventure of listening and learning has never lessened my own beliefs or faith, nor has it corrupted me in any way.  These things tell me about what is important to people.  What matters to them, what they hope in, what they believe in.

Often (though it is rare in the world today) when I have listened to others, they have, in turn, listened to me. They have allowed me to tell them about what I believe, and why it matters to me.

When Maui was at the very bottom of despair - he told Moana something that he had never told anyone.

He was not born a DemiGod - he was born to human parents. The main tattoo in the middle of his back is a picture of a woman, his mother, throwing him into the sea.


The gods found him, accepted him, turned him into Maui, and gave him magical powers and a magical hook.

But he went back to the humans - and spent his life trying to make them accept him, to appreciate him (You're Welcome), and to Love him.  He says to Moana, "It was never enough."



The story of Maui - in the story of Moana - is a story of redemption, acceptance, and love.

We don't know everyone's story - what they have faced or what they are searching for. But everyone deserves a chance at LIFE - It is the only chance we have to find LOVE.


We sometimes throw people away.

We have reasons for doing so.  The reasons sound rational and reasonable.  It sounds as if we have no other choice. No other way.


We must make a different choice.

We must find a different way.

No comments: