Sunday, November 23, 2014

Own Your Name




Own Your Name

This is another examination of the Evil Fairy clip. Different observation.

Aurora has learned from her Aunts (her guardian fairys) that she lives under a curse that will soon crash down upon her.

She confronts her Fairy Godmother to confirm what she already knows. The curse was cast upon her by an "Evil Fairy."

"I can't remember her name . . . they said it was . . . . . . " 

"Maleficent."

Malicious. Malefactor. Malfeasance. 

Maleficent.

It is not just a name. It is her name. It is who she is, or who she was when she cast the cursing spell. It is her reputation, her character, her deeds.

We all are born under a curse, and we all have to find a way out. Because of our own cursedness and what I believe is our natural bent away from goodness and God we all make mistakes. We commit regrettable acts. We intentionally or unintentionally hurt, harm, and destroy. It is the nature of all humanity. The Bible says that we all have sinned (Romans 3:23).

If I am ever to find the way out from under my curse I must take personal responsibility for my life. I have to claim my name. I have to step up and own who I am. That's me. I'm the one.

Listen to this song by Becca Jackson:



 

The crime scene is still intact -
Those are my fingerprints -
My calling card -
Those are my tracks -
And I got my hands tied behind my back.

Never confess false accusations. Do not embrace the hateful aspersions of the mob, the throng, or the crowd. Never consent to wear a cloak of shame or defamation woven by those who only wish to defame, discredit, or disdain you. If you are like me, you will have enough genuine sin of your very own making to require your attention and confession.

But I must always be willing to say my name. Fill in the blank. Step up and own who I am. Take responsibility for me - what I have done that I shouldn't - or what I have not done that I should.
 

No comments: