Thursday, November 27, 2014

Revoking our curses






I thought that I had one more thought on Maleficent before departing (I've been rushing to True Love's Kiss and Happily Ever After, as everyone does!)

But, I keep coming back to another sad scene.

Maleficent magically tucks her Goddaughter into bed and is moved to revoke the terrible curse that she has placed upon her.

As I have mentioned . . . my eyes are adjusted for a Christian world view and I'm looking for spiritual truth and divine self-revelation everywhere I go (even in the movies).

Aurora's relationship (though at first in innocent ignorance) with the Evil Maleficent seems truly Christ-like. Jesus told His followers to bless those who curse them (Matthew 5:44). The young girl has certainly been a blessing to her malefactor. And that will be the key to unlocking this shackle in the end.

Can we revoke our own curses? Can we undo the wrongs that we have committed against others? Can we atone for our sins? Can we redeem ourselves?

It is very difficult in almost all cases, and certainly impossible in many. We can't turn back time, change the past, unring a bell, undo the action, or unsay the curse.

One of the reasons that the claims of the New Testament concerning Jesus hold such promise to me, and many others, is the hope of redemption -- from me and my curses.

 Galatians 3:13 records, "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:" The curse of the Law of God is in the fact that I have never obeyed it myself, and then I have cursed many who have not obeyed my laws or submitted to my wishes.

It's not magic. Magic doesn't work. It wasn't something magical, supernatural, or miraculous that Jesus did to purchase and pardon. He offered Himself in love for the cursed. And love . . . is the enemy of all curses.

Before happily ever after can be found, Maleficent must brokenheartedly discover that she cannot revoke her curse, she cannot negate it or remove it. She must meet its conditions. That is what she finally did.

I believe that is what Jesus did on the cross.

No comments: